Is it about time you cleaned your golf clubs and grips?
Are you 100% sure what’s the best way to do clean them? After all, you don’t want to damage your pride and joys, do you? In this article, we’ll show you the best way to clean golf clubs thus avoiding any costly mistakes.
What equipment will you need?
Clubhead cleaning: Bucket or bowl, washing up liquid, 2 Lint-free clothes, old toothbrush
Driver head cleaning: Lint-Free cloth, and a microwave or hot water, old toothbrush
Golf Grips: Bucket, dish soap (washing up liquid), Scrubbing brush, Lint-Free dry cloth, and a golf Tee. Kits are available CLICK HERE
There are kits available online for cleaning your clubs they contain all the equipment you’ll need to clean your clubs in a handy case. CLICK HERE for prices on Amazon This would be a great gift idea. I just use the equipment listed above which I keep in my garage to use after every round.
Let us get started-How to clean golf clubs and grips
How to clean golf clubs and grips
#1 Prepare your bucket
Add a drop or two of dish soap (washing up liquid) to your bucket or bowl and fill with a couple of inches of warm water, just enough to cover the club head and just below the ferrules. Don’t use hot water (only warm water) as this can loosen the ferrules if you get them wet.
#2 Place your clubs in the bucket to soak
Place your clubs (specifically your iron heads) in the soapy lukewarm water and leave to sit for no longer than 5 minutes. This is enough to loosen any dirt or muck that’s stuck in the grooves.
#2 Clean your grooves
One by one take the clubs out and using your old toothbrush start to scrub the grooves. Never be tempted to use a wire brush, this could do longlasting damage to your clubs. Cleaning the dirt and muck out of the grooves is one of the main reasons for cleaning your clubs. Removing all the mud and dirt from the grooves will give you better contact with the ball when out on the course. Especially on your wedges, spin control is lost when the grooves are filled with mud so it’s very important to keep them clean and free from dirt.
# 3 Rinse the grooves
Once all the grooves are cleaned rinse the iron heads in cold water and dry with a lint-free cloth. Don’t let them air dry or sit in the sun as this can cause damage to your clubs. Avoid getting the shaft wet. Inspect the grooves and if all are clean then move onto the next stage which is cleaning the rest of the clubhead. If the grooves are not clean then repeat this process. If you find your grooves are worn and not coming clean you can get a tool to sharpen and clean them up. This will give you better spin and control over the golf ball.
#4 Cleaning the rest of the clubhead
Then you need to clean the base and back of the club heads. I like to use a warm damp cloth for this. This for me is different for everyone depending on the clubs and how they’re made. I have had some sets where the logo on the back of the clubhead is glued on and if you leave them to soak for too long it can come loose. So I thought of a better idea, take a wet lint-free cloth and microwave it for one minute. The cloth becomes hot and still damp. Then use this cloth to clean all areas of the club head. It works really well.
# 5 Drying stage
The final step is to dry your clubs, don’t leave them to air dry as this can cause damage to the club. Never place any club back into your bag without it being 100% dry otherwise you can damage your clubs and also make your bag go moldy.
How to clean your driver, woods or hybrids
#1 Cleaning golf driver clubhead
Don’t place your driver or woods into the water, as the heads can leak water inside them and damage your club. If water goes inside the golf club it can take ages to get the water out and who knows what damage has been done inside. Take a lint-free dry cloth and soak in water, ring out the excess water and place in a microwave for 1 minute. Then take out the cloth whilst still hot and damp and use this to wipe all areas of the club head to clean all the dirt off. If you haven’t got a microwave then dip the lint-free cloth into hot water for a few seconds then ring off the excess water and use that.
The grooves on a driver clubface are not as deep as the ones on your irons but it’s still important to clean them. Mine are white and when they get dirty they go black and you can’t tell I even have grooves when you look at them. Dip your old toothbrush in lukewarm soapy water and scrub lightly on the driver/wood clubface until all the dirt has gone.
Use a lint-free cloth to dry every inch of the clubface, again don’t leave to air dry or leave in the sun as this can cause damage to your clubs.
How to clean your golf club grips
#1 Preparing to clean your golf grips
Before cleaning your golf club grips with soapy water you need to plug the end of the grip so that water doesn’t get into the shaft causing it to rust. I use a golf tee as it fits perfectly and won’t damage your grip and we all have these to hand. See the picture above. Cleaning your grips is very important to ensure you have a solid grip on the club when taking your swing. Any dirt or grease on the grip can be lethal and cause you to lose control of the club through your swing. Fill a bucket or bowl with lukewarm water and add a small amount of washing up liquid and make some bubbles.
#2 Start scrubbing
Never soak the grips in water! Simply take one club at a time and use the scrubbing brush to apply water and soak to the grip and scrub up and down lengthways. Never scrub left to right or across as this can loosen and move the grip. Remove all the muck and dirt from the golf grip.
Use a dry Lint free cloth and dry each golf club grip and inspect for any damage. Any signs that the grip has moved or any old damage should always be dealt with by having the grip replaced. Kits are available to re-grip your clubs CLICK HERE.
The last thing you want is the grip to come off halfway through your backswing. Make sure to dry any water that may have found its way on to the shaft.
How to clean a golf shaft
I found the best way to clean a steel golf shaft it by using Baby wet wipes. They contain harmless ingredients which won’t harm a babies bottom nevermind your golf club shaft. So they’re safe to use.
Simply rub the wet wipe up and down the shaft to remove excess dirt and muck and then dry with a Lint-Free cloth. Never spray chemicals or WD40 on the shafts as this can cause damage to other parts of the golf club if it gets onto those areas. Never be tempted to use wire wool, it will end up scratching the shaft and this will annoy you when the sun hits your shaft and you see all those scratches.
Final Thoughts- All clean and ready to play!
Playing golf is part Physical and part mental and starting off on the first Tee with a shiny clean set of golf clubs gives you a nice feeling.
We hope this short blog How to clean golf clubs and grips helped you get ready to play well and shoot low.
SENHAI Golf Club Groove Sharpener and Brush, Cleaning and Sharpening Kit for Wedges and Irons, Golf Accessories
- 6 BLADES GROOVE SHARPENER: 6 blades of different widths for sharpening and cleaning grooves. 3 blades for U grooves and 3 for V grooves. Easy to use and clean.
- HIGH QUALITY METAL: The sharpener made of vacuum-treated steel measures 60 on the Rockwell hardness scale, achieves a maximum durability.
- NYLON AND WIRE BRUSH: The cleaning brush with wire and nylon bristle is great for cleaning the irons of golf club and other equipments, such as shoes and bags.
- PORTABLE DESIGN: The brush can be attached to the bag with its clip, which makes it easier to be taken anywhere.
- GREAT EFFECT: Cleaning and sharpening the wedges and the irons regularly is good for improving Backspin and Ball Control.
BUTYPAL Golf Club Cleaning Kit - Dual Sided Nylon and Wire Golf Club Cleaner with Divot Repairer , Multi Tool Golf Accessories as Groove Sharpener, Ball Cleaners, Golf Cleaning Kit for Women and Men
out of stock
- CLEAN CLUBS = BETTER GOLF! Those dirty grooves on the head of your golf club get you less control over the ball.
- 3-in-1 GOLF CLEANING BRUSH FOR CLUBS AND SPIKES - Nylon bristles for easy cleaning of woods without scratches. Sliver brass wire bristles tough enough for efficient cleaning of wedges and iron face on the fairway. Metal spike for cleaning deep in the grooves and golf shoes. This golf accessory set are used by all levels of golfers, from beginners to professionals.
- SOLID CONSTRUCTED AND ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED - Every mechanism element from the brush to the coil spring has been carefully selected and tested to ensure durability. Groove cleaner's handle is made with extremely durable plastic for strength but it has ergonomically designed soft rubber grips for comfort even when applying heavy scrubbing pressure.
- FITS FOR ALL GOLF UTILITY CLUBS - Plus an value with an extra divot repair, this top golf accessory set is an perfect gift for all golf lovers. The retractable carabiner system makes golf club cleaning brush easy to attach to golf bag or almost anything.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - No hassle to try this golf accessory set. If you aren't 100% thrilled with the golf club cleaner, just contact Amazon or us within 60 days and receive a full refund.
Golf Cleaning Kit - 3 in 1 Retractable Club Head Brush & Deluxe Trifold Towel (Green)
- 3 in 1 GOLF CLUB HEAD CLEANING BRUSH with wire bristles for irons, nylon bristles for woods/hybrids and a sharp spike for removing stubborn dirt from the grooves on your club heads which can also be used for cleaning the soles of golf shoes. The spike is fitted with a protective cap.
- The brush is fitted with an AUTO RETRACTING ZIP-LINE which extends up to 2 feet (61cm) for quick easy storage and an ergonomic handle enabling you to clean your equipment quickly and continue to enjoy your game of golf with minimum fuss.
- The hard-wearing 100% COTTON TRIFOLD TOWEL is perfect for wiping dirt and moister off golf balls, club heads and your hands.
- LIGHT & PORTABLE - the brush and towel kit can be clipped to your golf bag, belt loop or push cart for easy access and will help to keep your clubs in tip-top playing condition during a round of golf or before storing your gear.
- With 2 COLOUR OPTIONS this is the perfect stylish combination of lightweight high quality practical cleaning equipment for any golf enthusiast and the ideal gift for the golfer who has everything.
Golf Club Brush and Towel Set, LeRan 2 in 1 Microfiber Towel and Retractable Golf Brush with Zip-line Aluminum Carabiner Cleaning Kit for Golf Clubs (Blue towel)
£8.59 in stock
- BRISTLES CLEANING: Wire bristles for irons and nylon bristles for woods, delivers the most thorough cleaning of your golf clubs in minutes.
- STRONGTOWEL CLEANING: Super absorbent. Micro-fiber materials absorb and clean the dirt off clubs well, removes dirt like a magnet.
- RETRACTABLE CARABINER: The set comes with a retractable carabiner. You can pull the towel and brush out to clean your ball / club then let it zip back into place, also easy to attach to your golf bag, belt loop, or push cart.
- GROOVE CLEANING SPIKE with safety cap: As golf groove sharpener to clean stubbornness, sharp pick for stubborn dirt and grime in grooves.
- PERFECT COMBINATION: The set includes a golf towel and a club brush, the towel quickly clean golf balls before putting, clean an iron after an approach shot. For extra deep cleaning of grooves, use the club brush and groove spike.
PGA Tour Shoe Bag With Club Cleaning Set
£19.98 in stock
- Shoe bag with sturdy handle, air vents & secure side pockets
- Club cleaning tool
- Polishing cloth
- Neutral coloured polish
- Shoe brush with spike tool & shoe horn
Golf Club Brush with Score Counter and Divot Tool,Dual Sided Nylon & Steel Brush with Spike for Cleaning Club Face & Groove with Retractable Clip Easy Hanging on Golf Bag, Ideal Golf Gift for Golfers
- Great COMFORT equipment kit: The retractable 2 ft. zip-line carabiner makes it easy to attach to your golf bag for blazing fast access. Nylon bristles for easy cleaning tool of woods and shoe spikes/cleats. Sharp pick for stubborn dirt and grime in groove (Comes with plastic covers).
- HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION AND COMFORTABLE TO USE - The handle is made with extremely durable plastic for strength and durability, yet is ergonomically designed with soft rubber grips for comfort even when applying heavy scrubbing pressure!
- MAKE BETTER CONTACT WITH EVERY SHOT - A club face free of dirt ensures that it performs as per the manufacturer's specifications. You paid good money for all the high tech design that went into your clubs, make sure you maximise it!
- GENERATE OPTIMUM SPIN ON THE BALL - When the grooves on your irons are filled with dirt, it greatly reduces the spin that can be put on the golf ball. Keep your grooves clean and stick more greens!
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - If you aren't absolutely satisfied, return your product within 30 days for a quick and courteous refund! CLICK ADD TO CART NOW!
We know that price is important to you, after all, that’s why you’re comparing golf products. But everyone has different needs and budgets, so we’ll help you to find the right golf product at the right price, whether that’s by letting you filter your search results, showing customer ratings and reviews or by simply finding your item at the cheapest price. We search all the major Golf Manufactures and retailers like: American Golf, eBay, Onlinegolf, Tailor-made, Callaway and many more and compare their prices to bring you the best deals. We are in simple terms a Golf price comparison site which saves you time and money.